Monday, February 16, 2015

Grady's Growing Up!!

BOTH kids are growing up right before our eyes! And I have TONS of pictures and videos and stories to prove it! And I know I haven't even posted Christmas 2014 yet, and I cometely skipped over January 2015. But this is a big night in our house and I don't want to skip over the details. 
The topic? Eh. Not glamorous. But it's a milestone I want to remember, and this blog is the best tool to help this tired Mama remember all the fun and exciting, and even the less-than-glamorous parts of our lives. 
So bear with me as I share the news that Grady has decided to ditch diapers. My baby boy is sound asleep in his crib.....with the tiniest Thomas the Train undies on the planet. 


He's been giving us all the signs that he's ready. Taking off his diaper. Bringing it to me. And running to get a fresh diaper. 

He's been throwing "diaper parties" in his crib, and I've been on a continual mission to fish clean diapers out of his crib after he's dumped them ALL in there and jumped on them, laughing, squealing, and shouting "It's a DIAPER PARTYYYYY!!!!"

Some of the funniest recent nights at our house have involved the kids in Gradys crib, jumping and laughing and tossing diapers! 








I haven't been excited about potty training. At all. And aside from throwing diaper parties in his crib and taking his diaper off when we are at home, Grady has not expressed any interest in the potty at all. He has gone on the potty many times, but only one time has it been his idea. And for every 10 times I ask him if he wants to try to go on the potty, there are nine "No, mommy. No potty!"'s. 

But today, Grady started to take his diaper off when Whitney had two friends over for a sleepover. I told Brady that he had to keep his diaper on or I would put him in underwear. He tried to take his diaper off again, so I put him in underwear to follow through on my threat. Little did I know that he would stay in those underwear and keep them dry for over two hours. When he went them, he immediately ran to me and said "Ewww, I am soaking wet! Oh NO!!!!" So I gave him a bath and put fresh Thomas undies on. We sat down for lunch, and almost immediately after chugging some juice, he asked to hug me and ended up wetting his underwear again. I debated putting a diaper on, but he didn't protest at all when I  got a third pair of underwear out of his drawer. So we went with it. 

Wvery fifteen minutes-ish, Id ask him if he had to go and he'd say "Nope!" and carry on. Every now and then Id take him to the bathroom, sit him down, and sometimes something would happen, and other times nothing happened. But each time, he got a tiny candy (smartie or mini M&M..that I'm praying don't backfire on me!) to reward his willingness to at least try. 

As the evening went on, still no accidents. And I started upping the ante and offering the iPhone as incentive vs a candy. He caught on quickly and realized that he could play the phone as long as he was sitting on the potty and at least attempting to produce something. After dinner I was cleaning the kitchen while Eric took Whitney to gymnastics. Grady came running into the kitchen and said, "Mommy! Ready to go poop on the potty?!?? I'm ready now!!" Do we ran to the bathroom and I sat him on there, and he made a fake, exaggerated grunting/pushing sound and said, "Mommy! Oh, I trying! I'm puuuuushing! I'm puuuushing....and.....I need....da phone!!" 
I laughed. He got the phone. I am calling it a parenting win because, when I left the  child alone for 45 seconds (because sometimes Mommy has to pee, too!), I returned to find him still on the potty, with clear evidence that he had peed (we will work on aim!), and pooped in my absence! 
I threw him a party and cheered and he was so proud 😃 Then I put him in new terry-cloth lined undies and plastic underwear under his jammies. The child who didn't appear to mind giant diapers last night, was NOT having the plastic pants or the terry lined underwear that would've made middle-of-the-night cleanup a bit easier. Nope. Dude didn't ask for a diaper, surprisingly. He wanted Thomas undies. Phew. Okay. Sink ir swim, GBass!

So the little baby who is more little boy was ready for bed. Diaperless. 

Thankfully, on the very same night he decided he wanted to go on the potty like a big kid, my baby also asked to be "rock, rocked" to sleep. There is no place I'd rather be and nothing more important than these kinda cuddles. 

I just checked in him. He's been asleep for over two hours and he's still dry. I'm certain he won't wake up dry, but I'm thrilled that he CSN hold it for several hours. Part of the reason I have been dragging my feet is because of the wait in car line outside Whitney's school each afternoon. A full hour in the car, trapped in line, no potty in sight. But knowing he CAN hold it might make it easier. Maybe. I can dream. 

And why do I bother blogging THIS when we've had countless fun, funny, exciting, and happy moments in the weeks (months?!) since I last blogged?? Because I vividly remember the day Eric and I bought the very first package of diapers the weekend before we became parents. I loved that feeling. I loved the smell of fresh diapers outta the package. It smelled like motherhood. Like a baby was on the way. It was a big symbol of life ahead. And in the (almost) six years of intermittent diapering, I've opened a LOT of boxes of new diapers. And EVERY time, without fail, I'm hit by the diaper smell and reminded of that first package we bought and how excited we were. And how blessed I am to be opening diapers. Because it means I'm a mom. And that's the best thing ever. 

So while we JUST bought a GIANT, Sam's-sized box of new diapers for Grady, it appears I've opened my last box. It'll be returned to the store some time this week. And while I'm super proud of our GBass, I sorta feel cheated outta that last new-box-of-diapers smell. Bittersweet, for sure. 

My baby is getting less baby-ish. And though he can climb into his crib like a champ, the crib stays. He hasn't climbed out get, and he still calls for me when he wants to get out. So that one last baby item remains. And I'm holding on for dear life. 

Slow your roll, Dude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment