Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Making it a December to Remember :)

Last Wednesday night I had some pretty severe pain that had be doubled over and concerned that is was going past "normal ligament pains" and into "it shouldnt hurt this much" territory.  Better to be safe than sorry, so Eric and I headed to the hospital just to make sure the baby is still okay.  Turns out the pains were normal ligament pains but made worse by the fact that I have a vertical scar from my belly button down. That scar is pretty severe (from the 2000 surgery that removed my left ovary and a cyst the size of a honeydew melon) and has apparently caused some scar tissue and adhesions to form on the muscles and ligaments in my stomach. Thus, as my belly grows and bones shift (yipes!), the adhesions will continue to stretch and pull my scar, causing the pains I was feeling.  We got to see Grady moving and punching and waving on the ultrasound again, and I think the stress-level dropped 100% when we knew he was just fine and unaffected by the drama. :) 
The next day was the first day of December.  Yall. If you arent on Pinterest, stop what you are doing, click that link to my Pinterest boards, and go sign up.  I have found the BEST ideas and crafts and fun things by clicking through other people's "bulletin boards". Yes, its a ginormous time-suck, but if you can find time to facebook and read my blog, you can certainly find time for some pinning :)
Anyway, one of the great ideas I found:
Wrap 24 Christmas books and have your child open one each day until Jesus' birthday! Whitney really likes this idea, as she gets to open a present every single day, and we all get to read a book by the Christmas tree. I already had 24 Christmas books, thanks to my mom who kept ALL of our childhood books, but ive seen them as cheap as $1 or $3.  We have everything from "The Polar Express" to "The Story of Christmas" to several copies of "Twas the Night Before Christmas"! Some old, some new,  and we love them all! 

I struggled with getting our Christmas card made this year.  We always dread the process but love the end result, but this year just seemed more daunting.  Maybe because Whitney is 2.5 yrs old and has opinions? She demanded that she wear her lime green (ugly, ratty) tutu for the pictures.  Would NOT take it off.  I picked my battle stance and let her wear the dumb tutu UNDER her beautiful silver Christmas dress. WINNER! She was happy, we were happy, and 15 minutes and 75 snaps later, we had 3 good pics for the Christmas card. Phew.  I had to add the Baileydog on the card again because its just not "The Bass Family" without that  first furbaby.  

Some outtakes from the quick pics Summer snapped for us :) 




On Saturday morning, we had no plans despite the constantly-growing To-Do Lists we have laying around.  We have a "Before Christmas" list, a "Before Grady Arrives" list, and a "House Wish List" list, all growing in length and complexity as Pinterest corrupts my mind with fabulous ideas I cant live without trying.  Eric is such a great sport, never complaining or giving more than a long "siiiiiiigh" from time to time, so when he wanted to throw the lists out the window and head to Disney on Saturday morning, I was up for it :) First he let me lay in bed while he taught Whitney how to blow into the trumpet.  Surprisingly, she was able to produce noise, and was very proud of herself :) (Rockin' the blue ratty tutu that morning:)

As I laid there listening and watching, I felt the very first real kicks from Grady! We joked that he was enjoying his sister's musical talents :)  It was so fun to finally KNOW that it was him. I had felt some movement-type feelings in the last week or so, but wasnt convinced it was him. This time, there was no denying it.  He was movin' and shakin'!  His kicks have become progressively stronger and I know it wont be long before the real KICKS start flying. For now it just feels like someone is blowing bubbles at my belly button :) 
And because the baby stuff has been making its way back to our house from friends and family, we decided to lose the guest room furniture and put the crib up a bit early.  NOW its starting to feel more real.  Walking by his room and seeing the crib up already is helping me come to reality :) I am sorry to say I only snapped one cell phone pic of the crib-building process this time.  With Whitney, I took about 40 pics of Eric and Bailey working to build the crib, so I sorta feel bad that Grady isnt getting as much "coverage" as Whitney did....but I guess its just different this time. We arent any less excited...I think its just that, this time, we know we have 6 more months to wait.  With Whitney, we didnt know if the agency would call us the next day, or the next year! So its a different kind of excited this time :)

Whitney has enjoyed testing out all of Grady's toys and telling us, "I sat in dis when I was a teeny, tiny baby!" I think the whole baby gig is really on her brain lately, as she is wanting to be carried and held a LOT, which is completely out of character for her.  She also tells us, "Im a BABYYY!" very often each day.  She tells us all the things she is going to teach Grady, but I think she is trying to process how this is all going to work out.  This morning she cried terribly when I dropped her off at school.  She did that on Monday, too, which leads me to believe it is no longer ear infection related, but more about missing her mommy.  She tells her teachers, "I just miss my mommy!" when they ask her why she is crying, and that breaks my heart. I want her to know that she isnt being replaced and that I miss her, too! She has to go to school though, and I refuse to give in to the behavior and give her what she wants, so we will just have to work through it and pray it gets better before Grady arrives.  In the coming weeks she will be showered with LOTS of attention from family, and she will have two weeks off from school, so maybe that will help remind her that she is our #1 Girl :)

dont worry....the pink bumbo will either have a cover on it (etsy sells the CUTEST bumbo covers!), or my neighbor said she'd let us borrow her blue bumbo so Grady doesnt have to explain the hand-me-down to all his friends :)

We moved the twin bed from the guest room into Whitney's room..  She is not loving the idea of anything being called "big girl bed" or "big girl stuff".  She likes the idea of being a baby or a little girl right now, so we arent pushing the whole big girl idea.  But she likes her bed and hasnt had any issues with napping or sleeping in it so far :) I hope Grady is as easy-going as Whitney can be!

And while Snow White (she still wnt take the dress off....ever) took a snooze, I decided to make more pinterest crafts :) We've needed throw pillows on our couches for years, but I was determined to make them since I could never find any that match out rug/walls/kitchen curtains.  This tutorial took me 23 minutes to make one cushion. SOOO easy! 

So I made two more for the other couch :)

I wasnt sure if I liked it at first, but I walked into the kitchen this moring and looked out the back window and the pillow caught my eye....love it. LOVE it. And I already owned the fabric and it only took 23 minutes! Whats not to love?!

And last night when Eric went out for some drinks with a friend, I caught up on some Teen Mom 2 (guilty pleasure!) and made this little pinterest project in about 2 minutes (not including paint-drying time). 


Because really? That's what this month is all about :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment