It was good! :) long and informative and good :)
The attorney is super nice and stands behind being a Christian before an attorney or an agency. We can already tell that she will stand up for us and fight for us (if, God forbid) that should ever be needed. She has a sense of humor about who the birthmoms claim to be vs who they really are, and she doesnt let them b.s. the adoptive parents or get more than they "deserve" (some birthmoms are "repeat offenders" who keep getting pregnant just to get their living expenses paid..:()
From what we have learned, Eric and I have decided to put our application in right away. We need to submit an application (and some cash)...then the agency will send us a home study packet (that is about 11 inches thick!). From that packet we will need to get thingds signed, notarized, duplicated, originals, etc..and get letters of recommendation and FBI fingerprints and cleared through several online clearinghouses for abusers and felons and...blah blah. We think that will take about 4-6 weeks to complete and turn in (probably around the middle to end of June). Then, the agency approves everything and we have to write our "Dear Birthmom" letter...YIKES!...including pics and info about ourselves and our backgrounds and why these women should pick us to raise their child. The agency gives us all kinds of hints and ideas re: what works and what doesnt...so we have a pretty good idea of what to include, but it is slightly overwhleming to have to "sell" ourselves!
THEN, once we turn those in (5 copies), they start giving them to birthmoms who match our "wants" (no drug addiction or exposure, caucasian, etc). Then, we wait....and wait....and wait...for a birthmom to select us. :) What a fantastic day that will be!!!!!
After that, we will set up a time to meet with the birthmom for lunch or dinner...yikes!...and both sides decide from there if this is a good fit.
There are a few different options...we can do closed adoption, where we know NOTHING about the birthmom and she knows NOTHING about us.
Pros: she cant find us and show up on our doorstep
Cons: if there are any health issues later in the child's life, we might need her info. There is no way to look her in the eyes and ask her if she used drugs, etc during the pregnancy.
We can do completely open adoption:
Pros: i guess some people like it???
Cons: the birthmom and her family has open access to the child..forever
And Eric and I have chosen to do a "partially open" adoption:
Pros: we get to meet the mom and maybe the dad. we can look her in the eyes and ask her if she did drugs or drank during the pregnancy. we get to hug her and THANK HER for her gift of selflessness. we get most health info.
Cons: we have to send pics to her via the agency for several years post placement...not a big con at ALL, but might be tough and remind me that the baby isnt really "mine" yet....maybe. hardly a con, but something to think about.
A few things to pray about if you think about it :) (Colleen...i know you like specifics :)):
*pray that a birthmom picks us :)
*pray that the birthmom is a good fit...and doesnt lie about her drug habits
*pray that the birthmom is on medicaid (this is better than having private insurance because medicaid pays 100% for the birthmom...private insurance can have HIGH deductibles and only pays portions of the hospital stay)
*pray that Eric and I can stay on our budget so that we dont have to take out a giant loan to afford this baby!
So...that is the latest. We are both super excited!! I will, of course, keep you posted. :) The next step is filluing out that application, and I anticipate having that in the mail by the end of the week!!!!!! :)
5 comments:
Oh, Kathleen, I am so super excited for you and this new path you are taking in your life! I am here praying for you, and I just know you will be the best mom ever! Love you, Anne
Very exciting news...I will pray specifically for the requests you've outlined. :-)
Oh, what wonderful news, Kat!! I'm just so beyond thrilled for you...what an incredible step you are taking! You and Eric are going to be excellent parents, and I will be rejoicing and jumping up with you on the day God brings you your miracle!
Kat O sweetie I'm so happy it went well and you are moving forward quickly! I know a birth mom will pick you two right away! I'm so excited for you both, your dreams WILL come true soon!! My thoughts and prayers are always with you!
Hugs and I love ya! :-}
April
Congrats on this big step!! Can't wait to follow your journey.
Post a Comment