Sunday, May 25, 2008

Blueberry beer is fatal for Kathleen... !

Its been eventful here lately: Last night we had about 50 people over for Eric's 30th birthday party. I took a sip (one teeeeny sip) of a blueberry organic beer. Didnt like it. Within 10 minutes, my ear and left side of my throat and tongue were THROBBING, and my tongue was HUGE. I couldnt swallow and couldnt talk. I could breathe, but I knew something wasnt right for it to happen so fast. My amazing SILs and an aunt and friend who are nurses said it was an allergic reaction to something I ate. I hadnt had anything different except that sip of beer. So i downed benadryl (and almost fell asleep in the middle of our party!) and poured peroxide in my ear to releive some of the pressure-type feeling. Every 3 hours i could feel the benadryl wear off and had to down more. Eric wanted to rush me to the ER or call 911, but i knew it was ONLY on the left side of my head, and the benadryl helped, and i had a house of guests! Again, in the middle of our party, we looked up the symptoms on webmd and it said it was an allergy.
SOOO...i braved it through the party last night and slept like a rock last night. (Eric kept waking me up to make sur emy throat wasnt closing.) And we went to urgent care this morning. I still couldnt talk and had a HUGE knot on the side of my face and throat. The urgent care doc said it was an allergy to something in the beer, and that IF i had drank the entire beer, i would have had to been intibated. He gave me a steroid shot and prescription for prednisone and, hours later, i am feeling okay. Not great, but decent. I am STARVING because i couldnt swallow or eat or talk since about 4pm yesterday. My tongue hurt SOOO bad and was HUGE (felt inches thick in the back of my throat). Turns out the "knot" on the side of my face was my LYMPH NODES! They were SOOOO swollen and HUGE! Scary!
So, we are trying to find out the name brand so we can find out the ingredients. I have had a MUCH milder, but similar experience with my ear and one side of my throat hurting in the past, but just thought it was a sore throat or ear infection and let it go. Nothing ever came of it. This was aMAJOR reaction though. The doc was shocked that I stuck out the party (til 4am, might i add!!)
SO....note to self: no more blueberry beer for Kathleen!

On another note, we are enjoying beautiful weather and great time with family. Eric's whole fam is asking about the adoption and are almost as excited as we are. SOOOO fun to share it with them! Everyone is offering to write letters of recommendation (we need 3) and offering to throw showers and such. SOOOO fun. A great weekend. We are ending it at the beach all day tomorrow. FUN!!!

Hope everyone else is enjoying a nice long relaxing weekend with family and friends!!

2 comments:

Stef said...

good lord! crazy girl, where did u get your resilience!? with all those symptoms! i may not have gone to the ED but i sure as heck wouldn't be up to party till 4 AM. :) you're definitely ready for late night diaper changes. LOL. ;)

Heather said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad you are okay! Scary!

Post a Comment