Monday, January 12, 2009

Hold onto Your Seats, Folks!

I am not sure if I have mentioned before how much I LOVE our church. I look forward to every Sunday, and I leave church feeling energized, loved, and excited each week. I cant remember a Sunday where I didnt have tears in my eyes at least once during a sermon. Sometimes those tears are for myself, sometimes those tears are for others, and sometimes those tears are just the only way I know how to show how happy I am to be called to God, and to have this church.
Recently, Pastor Brad has had an on-going sermon about “God's Economic Stimulus Plan”. This past Sunday was Part Three, and I literally could not wait to get online and talk about it. I wish EVERYONE could have heard this sermon. The messages, straight from the Bible, are so strong and powerful during this seemingly impossible economy. In case you dont have time to listen to the whole sermon (I dont blame ya, but I wish you would!), I will highlight my favorite points, based on Exodus 16 (the gist of it: God sent Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Millions of people were in the desert for a month when food ran short and patience was thin. Little did they know they had 40 more years of hanging out in the desert! During this time (40 years!) God provided bread each morning and meat each night for every one of His followers. God did not give too much to each person, but He also did not give too little. Each person had exactly what they needed to survive the week, plus enough to get them through the Sabbath. God did not let anyone starve in that desert wasteland for 40 YEARS. No one missed a meal for 40 YEARS.

*If God can feed millions in the desert for 40 years, He can get us through this rough economy.

*God rejects ingratitude. We need to give thanks for everything we DO have, instead of griping about the things we dont yet have, or the things we want. We have exactly what God has willed us to have at this time. And that is enough. Delay does not equal denial. Eric and I are continually grateful for our adventure in becoming parents. But there was a time when I referred to it as our “struggle” to become parents. I now realize that God has taught us so much in this time of waiting, so why should I call is such a negative name? Its an adventure! If you keep telling yourself something long enough, you start to believe it. And if you pray about it, God hears you. Be grateful for NOW and happy with what you have. I have a great sign that says “Happiness is wanting what you have.” So true.

*God supplies per diem. Day by day. One day at a time. He will not give us our lifetime of paychecks today. We dont need it today. We dont need it all at once. He will provide for us one day at a time, one minute at a time. He will not let us down. Every time I want to call the agency, I need to remember that God has given me all the information I need for today. If tomorrow brings news, He will send it. He has taken care of me every day until now...He will keep taking care of me one day at a time.

*God directs one step at a time. God gave Moses specific instructions for him to relay to the Israelites, but he only gave them to him a step at a time. Moses didnt need to know when the wandering would end. He didnt need to know where the food was coming from. He needed to trust in God's word, and know that He takes care of us one step at a time. When life is overwhelming and we want to jump ten months ahead, just to see what our life will look like, we need to remember that God's perfect plan is at work right NOW. And if we jump ahead of ourselves, we might miss some fun times and some important messages.

*God is reliable. The Israelites were in the desert for 40 YEARS, folks. FORTY. They never missed a meal. Those who followed His word survived 40 YEARS in the desert. Like this:
FORTY YEARS, FOLKS! His timing is perfect and He is always listening. I grew up in the church and enjoyed learning about Jesus' life and teachings in school. I think I had a good, solid, Christian background to help me grow as an adult. The only thing I dont think I “got” from my childhood church-goings was the whole “prayer” thing. Not until relatively recently did I realize that prayer is talking to God. Having a conversation. Now dont think I am crazy and think that some booming voice is going to shout over the clouds and give me my answers to all my heart's desires. But I am shocked at how God gives me answers to prayers in other ways. No booming voices necessary. :) I have learned that my day is better when I talk with God. When I tell Him what's on my mind and let Him have it. Sometimes I have yelled at God. Most of the time, I thank Him. And, let's be honest...I always make sure to include that good 'ol “send us our Baby Bass....anyday now would be great...thanks” :) And God hears me. I know He does. He has a perfect baby for us, in His perfect time. He has provided everything else we need or have needed...maybe not when WE wanted it....but when we needed it the most. He has never let us down.


Which leads me toooo....


*God's ways are unexplainable. As soon as we figure it out, something changes. His way and His time are always better. God surprises us. I was never a big fan of surprises, but I dont think we have much choice in the matter. During all the fertility treatments and the let downs that resulted, I remember constantly thinking “why not? Why dont we get to be pregnant? Why didnt this time work either? Why cant we just get pregnant?” Why why why. I just didnt understand. I mean, even our fertility diagnosis was coded as “unexplained”. Apparently NO ONE understood WHY we couldnt make a baby! No one could tell us WHY we couldnt get pregnant. I have decent eggs...not many, but the ones I have are okay. Eric has super swimmers. Thats all we “need”, right?! We make gorgeous embryos in a petri dish. So WHY wasnt it working? Why were we spending all this time and energy and heartache, and STILL not getting answers? Wanna know why? Because thats not how we were supposed to become parents. And God knew that. And ya know what? I wouldnt change one thing. Not one injection. Not one ultrasound. Not one tear. I wouldnt trade it. It made us stronger as a team, stronger in our marriage, stronger in our friendships and relationships. It made us stronger in our faith and our patience. It was all worth it. At the time, I didnt understand it. And it bugged me. A LOT. Doctors STILL dont understand it. But now, to us, it all makes sense. :)

*God wants your life to be evidence of His faithfulness. We trust in Christ to bring us eternal life. So why cant we trust Him to get us through today? John 6 says that Jesus is the bread of life. He is all we need. If we have faith that He will bring us eternal life with Him in heaven, and that He will return to bring salvation, then why cant we believe and have faith that He will get us through this economy? Why cant we trust in Him with all of our hearts and minds? Not just half.


I know it is easy for me to sit here in my comfy house with two stable jobs and incomes, and happiness all around and preach about how wonderful God is, and how He will provide in these hard times. I know its hard to look at the climbing bills and the fewer hours at work. Or see the mortgage payment suddenly become no-longer-doable. Or see the expenses far outweigh the income. Its hard to look at those situations and see what Pastor Brad was highlighting. But it should be easy. Its all a matter of FAITH. Have faith that He will provide. Whether financially or in medical situations or in relationship situations. He will fix it. But you have to go to Him. Talk to Him. You can choose to look at the checkbook, or look at His book. It may not seem like prayer can pay your mortgage. But let Him surprise you. It all boils down to having faith.


I cant even tell you how much more there was to Pastor Brad's sermon and message. It was amazing from beginning to end. Did you know that the bread God sent to the Israelites was called “Manna”? And you know what the literal translation is for the word “manna”? Manna = “what is it?” Literally. These people walked around the desert for 40 years eating “what is it?” They didnt KNOW what it was. They didnt have the answer to “what is this stuff we are eating to stay alive?” The named it “what is it”!! Just proves, we dont always need to know how He works things out, but when we talk to Him and know that He is our Savior, He always works things out.


Sorry to get all preachy on you. I know some of you made it half way through and wondered “where is Kathleen? Who did she let write on her blog tonight?” But when something grabs my attention the way Exodus 16 did, I feel like I have to share. That's what being a good Christian is all about, right? Spreading His word and sharing our stories.
On another blog I read, Tracey shares a prayer list every Sunday. That is something I would love to get into, but I dont wanna steal her idea. (Well...i DO want to steal it, but maybe call it "borrowing"?) I started my own running list of prayer requests and blessings, but if there is anything yall want me to add, dont be shy! Eric and I know the power of prayer and we'd love to add you to our list!
OK, off my preachy podium now. I am headed to watch some reality TV (THERE'S the Kat yall have been looking for!)

8 comments:

Natosha said...

Amen!!! Kathleen, God is so Awesome! HE does things in his time. Something my pastor said a few months back has always stayed in the back of my mind, "Delay is not Denial!"

Prayers for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your love for Jesus!

Emily's mom said...

Wow, that is exactly what I needed to read. Thank you so much! If God gets you to it, he will get you through it. I guess I just need to trust him more and not worry so much. Thanks again! That was wonderful.

Thanksgivingmom said...

Is it wrong that my biggest question after all this was, "Oooh! Which reality show???"

Haha!

sarah7181 said...

Thanks for writing you rpost Kat! You really made me smile tonight. :)

LL said...

Conversations with God. I have these quite often. Sometimes just a few sentences, sometimes longer.

This is a great post, Katt. What a wonderful witness you are.

My Nannie had over 200 people that she prayed for daily, I may not have quite as many as her, but it is getting there. I believe in the power of prayer so much!

Our Royal Family said...

Can I just come to church with you every Sunday? :) Everything you shared in this post was something I NEEDED to hear. Thank you for being fabulous and helping me to see what I needed to see!

Erin said...

Great message! If you want to add us to your list, we need a house ;)

H2 said...

Hey Kat not sure which site you're on recently but this reminded me of you: http://stolenmomentsdesign.blogspot.com/2009/01/someone-to-love.html

Thought you might like to download it to keep for when Baby Bass comes!

Post a Comment