Even though we did enjoy a fabulous week at the beach last month, I am sooo ready to be DONE with August 2010! My Aunt passed away last week after a long battle with dementia/alzheimer's, so Whitney and I headed to Ohio for the services. Why didnt Eric join us? Because Eric has SHINGLES! Yep, only 2 in every 1000 people his age will get this stress-related illness. So naturally, the most laid-back, healthy dude we know would end up with this uncomfortable, unhappy illness right after enjoying a week on the beach. I feel so bad for him and want to make it all better, but it just has to go away in time. That seems to be a common theme I suppose..."Time heals all wounds".
For now, he cant hug or hold Whitney and that is killllllllling her. She wants him to pick her up and hug her, but he has the shingles on his neck/head/chin, so if she wraps her little arms around him, we risk her getting Chicken Pox. Part of me WANTS her to get chicken pox and get it over with, but we did NOT want her to get them last week, right before we got on the plane to Ohio. I joked that I could just imagine her starting to itch little red bumps when we reached cruising altitude and were about to spend 4 days with family we rarely see. I was only half kidding...that would just flow with the kind of medical marvels we try to provide our docs. :)
Whitney and I enjoyed some time with my aunts and cousins and had a really great time with my parents and brother. Whitney woke up asking for "Jay? Jay!" (my bro) on our last morning in the Buckeye state. She wasnt ready to let anyone hold her (other than me, Mac, or Gramps), but she was happy to give out tons of high-5's. She played with all the toys Aunt Ger had waiting for her, and enjoyed being around family, even if she wasnt necessarily willing to sit in their lap, give them a hug, or hold their hand yet. I think if we had one more day there, she would have gone to any one of them without thinking twice...but the combo of her age, the foreign environment, and the faces she doesnt get to see every day seemed to make her clingier than normal.
She was a rock star on the plane rides and did great sleeping in the bed with me at the hotel. She is such an adaptable little girl :) She fell asleep during the Mass on Wednesday, but not before yelling "MAC! Mac! MAC!" from the first pew as my mom approached the altar to do her reading. Whoops! After the Mass, she stayed asleep to the gravesite and woke up just in time to entertain everyone at lunch afterwards. Auntie Peggy would've loved Whitney and I'm sorry they never got to meet. She is with her sisters and parents now, in a better place. :)
Some pics from the Ohio Adventure:
2 comments:
Kat, I'm sorry about your aunt!
Hope Eric is feeling better real soon! I can't imagine how hard that must be on him and Whitney too. Praying for a quick recovery!
Hope you're able to enjoy your Labor Day weekend!
Here's too an awesome September!!
Post a Comment