So last year, some of my very favorite people in the whole wide world came to visit us. Mandy, Sarah, Matt, and Ryan all traveled great distances to get to our house. And then, because we think we are cool like that, we all decided to run 13.1 miles in a Disney Half Marathon.
A fun time was had by all. So much fun, in fact, that we all agreed to do it again this year! We all registered for the race back in March and somehow, instead of opting to meet on a beach with umbrella drinks in hand, we all looked forward to running the race again.
So....time passes, money comes and goes, injuries strike, and only 1/3 of KatMandooSa and 2/3 of MaRicAn actually crossed this year's Wine and Dine finish line. (Keep in mind that Disney kept 100% of the entrance fees for all six of us....though only half of us ran. Sigh. Youre welcome, Mickey.)
So Mandy and Matt had to stay home this year, and while I thought I could finish the race several weeks ago, my sciatic nerve had entirely different ideas, and I knew there was no way I could even walk the 13.1 miles without further injuring myself. So this cutie only has one medal to chew on this year!
And while we certainly missed spending time with Mandy and Matt, we definitely had a great time enjoying all the race weekend festivities and events! Grady met a pretty princess at the packet pick-up on Friday :)
And decided he wanted to sign up for the Half Marathon....but we decided he should wait a few years. :)
And let him practice running :)
Sarah and Ryan's visit could NOT have happened at a better time. My mind has been sooooo wrapped up in Grady health drama and questions that I NEEDED that break from doctor appointments and symptom analyzing. We were counting down the days til Grady's neurology appointment, and I was SOOOO grateful to have such wonderful friends in town to keep my mind occupied but also listen to me repeat my worries and doctor's words over and over again in hopes of making some sense of it all. COULDNT find better friends in the world if I searched the rest of my life. Truly blessed to have these people in our lives!
Grady and Whitney love Ms. Sarah and Mr. Ryan, who are quickly becoming "Auntie Sarah" and "Uncle Ryan", and its not just because they always come bearing gifts (despite my pleading with Auntie Sarah). Grady stuck by Sarah's side and Whitney was read extra books and cracked UP with Ms. Sarah. You know you have amazing people in your home when your kids instantly love and cuddle them, and miss them when they go home.
We had to interrupt the festivities of the weekend to say a fond flushing farewell to our sweet "Whiskers" the fish. After a few days on his side, Whiskers finally rests in peace where "all drains lead to the ocean" (THANK YOU, NEMO!)
After a short, tearful memorial (Whitney didnt cry until she realized Eric was planning to flush Whiskers. Then, the tears came, she gasped and said, "NO!! But that's where the POOPY goes!!!!") Eric and Whitney headed to Walmart to pick out our new fishy family member.
"Bubbles" made his way home with a happy little girl :)
And before we knew it, Ms. Sarah had Whitney laughing and back to her happy self :)
Eric, Sarah, Ryan, and I headed to the race Saturday evening while my parents stayed with the kids at our house.
I was excited to cheer on my favorite runners, and Disney always puts on a great show. It was fun to stand at the finish line and watch the runners. ALMOST as much fun as if I had been able to run the race myself.
I waited in the field with them before they all had to head to their corrals. Disney Dance Party before the start? FUN!
And after they headed to the potties and their start corrals, I saw these signs:
There was a group of about 15 people carrying these neon green signs and cheering on runners. I had nothing else to do while I waited for the race to start, and I was curious about who "Noah" was, so I walked over to ask the group. My heart sunk to my feet and I got chills when a woman said, "This is Noah's mom", and a woman named Amber told me all about her son, Noah and his brave fight with brain cancer. I really believe that God puts people in your life for reasons we may not always understand right away. But I knew that not being able to run that race was for a very good reason. I needed to be there in that spectator field where I could meet and talk with Amber, who was a huge wealth of knowledge and understanding and reassurance as she knows every neurologist and pediatric neurosurgeon in our area. No, we do not believe Grady will need surgery. Nor do we believe he has cancer. But to meet a mom who endured SO much more than we have been through, and to hear her describe the testing to ask for, and who to see/who not to see, etc. It was a meeting that was meant to happen. I am so grateful for her willingness to chat (from the time the first corral started running, literally until the last bus of spectators left for the finish line!) and her insight.
(More on Grady's health in the next update)
So as the bus drove us into the Epcot parking lot, we heard cheers and realized the winner of the half marathon was already crossing the finish line!
And it wasnt too much longer before my favorite runners joined me at the finish! I am SO Proud of these people! I LOVE sharing this weekend with them and cant wait for next year!
We took a pic in front of the bench where KatMandooSa lost all energy and ability to walk last year, but missed Mandy and Matt :(
Ryan, Sarah, Eric, and I walked onto all the best Epcot rides with zero wit times! We had so much fun, though I have no IDEA how these three people continued to walk the park after they ran 13.1 miles!
Always a fun adventure with KatMandooSa and MaRicAn! THANK YOU for your amazing friendship, incredible motivation, and for loving our kids like your own.
(But seriously, if you wash sheets and towels before heading to the airport next year, I will hurt you. Who DOES that?! LOL)
No comments:
Post a Comment