Eric and Whitney came home from tennis lessons on Saturday with THIS:
A NEW CAMERA!!!
We have batted around the idea of investing in a DSLR camera for years. Three years. Ever since this beauty came home and we had a legit reason to snap THOUSANDS of pictures each month:
We could never justify the cost, and then we both got iphones and our little point-and-shoot is rarely taken out of its case anymore.
But then I decided I wanted the kids to have legit professional pictures taken each March/April for their birthdays. This year I wanted to start with pictures in their birthday outfits so we can use them on the invitation to their party.
So I called our local "professional" portrait studio and scheduled our appointment for last weekend. Except, during the phone call I learned that I would not be allowed to have JUST a white background. They absolutely would NOT allow me to stick to the white background. I would HAVE to choose three other backgrounds even though Im not interested in their silly beach scene or faux laser beams shooting across the back of my kids' birthday photos.
Even after talking with a manager (and being hung up on by a girl impersonating a manager), I wasnt satisfied with the idea of giving potentially hundreds of dollars to a company who was opposed to giving me what *I* want. They wanted to give me what THEY wanted ME to have.
Uh uh.
But we've never had professional pictures taken in a studio like that, and aside from last summer when our awesome friend Matt came to take pics of our family at the beach, we've never been in front of anything other than a point-and-shoot or a cell phone camera.
So I kept our appointment and hoped we would get just ONE good shot of each kid so I could finish their invitation and move on.
Well apparently Eric had a better plan. At the brilliant suggestion of our friend Matt, Eric came home with a fancy schmancy Canon DSLR camera!!!
I truly cant remember a time when I was more surprised
(ok, fine. The morning I found out I was pregnant tops the camera purchase, but still. I was really shocked.)
We have a LOT to learn, and intend to stick to "auto" mode for a while until we can take some tutorials and read a LOT and watch some youtube videos. But so far, it has been SO! MUCH! FUN! to snap away and see what pops up.
The flash is funky and wild in certain lightings, and that makes Grady's face contort and squint in the best possible ways.
And I love that moments like this are so much prettier than anything my silly iphone can capture.
And now that I have a reason to practice, all the everyday happenings of our home are becoming more fun and entertaining. Like Whitney feeding Grady. She had never asked to feed him with a spoon before, and I LOVE that I captured both of their personalities with a legit camera instead of just some phone pictures.
They were both having so much fun! And I know that, as I learn more and actually get out of "Auto Mode", I will be having even more fun, too. Because these moments ROCK!
And yes, I have been snapping significantly more pictures of Grady since A) its easier to get the camera out when there is only one kid to watch/manage and B) he is a LOT slower than Whitney and thus, easier to take pics of :)
But Im hoping to get a good camera case so I can take it to her school for chapel or to tennis lessons to catch her in action soon. Because really? She's so freakin' pretty, its a shame not to capture it all with this fancy camera!
Grady put on a little fashion show for me tonight, rockin' his new baseball outfit my mom bought him. I think I might make him wear it everyday until it no longer fits. Im in love.
And he tried on his new "Dude" hat. Im on a mission to locate and purchase every little kid "dude" hat on the planet. LOVE. And Whitney and I are teaching Grady to say "Duuuuude" and its so. freakin'. CUTE.
I love that she wanted to have a "picnic party" before dinner tonight. She has the BEST imagination and has never met a stuffed animal she didnt LOVE.
Wendy from Peter Pan and "Mary the Mouse" from Cinderella are our two newest "family members". They were supposed to be birthday presents but she discovered them under a pillow in our room. And could not have been more excited if I handed her a $100 bill.
So be prepared for some fun posts with amazing photos of our kids in full Dr. Seuss costume as we plan for their One Fish, Two Fish/Dr. Seuss birthday party next month!
And if this kid had a birthday party of his own this year, it would undoubtedly be a "Cars" theme, as this is his favorite past time. I love that he even makes the "vroooommmmmmm" noises for the cars and trucks as he "drives" them around on his hands and knees. So cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment