Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy FIRST Birthday, Grady!!

I know its terribly cliche, but I have to say it.
I can NOT believe how quickly the last year FLEW by.
Our little boy is ONE YEAR OLD already!?

He wears size 3 and 4 diapers, size 12-18 month clothes, and size 5 and 6 shoes.

Sleeping/Napping
Looking back over the past year, if I was asked "Is Grady a good sleeper, or a bad sleeper?", I would EASILY say that Grady is a GREAT sleeper.  Following in his big sister's foot steps, he is a great napper and finds a way to get the sleep he needs, even if we are on the go, at Disney, running to birthday party...you name it.  He is adaptable. And that is something I NEVER thought I would say about this kid.  We got off to a rough start, trying to figure out his eating/breatfeeding/formula situation, then scratching breast feeding early in an effort to just survive and get him into a sleep routine that would work.  Because I am no pro at raising children, but I AM a pro at raising MY children, and my kids require sleep.  Why are they so happy all the time? Im convinced it has a lot to do with the amount of time they get to rest their little brains :)
Others (my mother...cough, cough) will say that MOST kids dont nap as much as my kids do.  But most kids arent MY kids! We pack a lot of learning and fun into our days and they are wiped out enough that they require a snooze.  Grady consistently naps 9:30am-11:30am and again in the afternoon, about 2:30pm til 3:30 or sometimes til 5pm.  It just depends on what we have going on.  If he gets a solid morning nap, he wont nap for more than an hour in the afternoon.  But if we are on the go or have gym class or are just too busy to make time for a nap, then he works it out and makes sleep happen where and when he needs it.
Adaptable.  My favorite baby adjective right now :) 

He is getting molars, so he is drooling more than usual, and he is slightly more snuggly than usual.  Im eating it up.  Even though it meant I had to sit in the rocking chair in his dark, white-noise-infused room for over three hours last week.  He didnt want to be put down and was a sweaty, drooly, ear-pulling mess.  Every day I find a reason to be grateful that I get to stay home with Whitney and Grady, but on days like that, when my sweet boy only wants to be held by his Mommy, I was super grateful I didnt have to turn him over to a day care to comfort him.  Im super blessed!


Last week, BOTH kids slipped out of character and fell asleep in "unusual" places.  Whitney was so wiped out from a busy day of fun that she fell asleep on the couch for the first time since infancy.  And Grady went to sleep in his crib as usual, but woke up crying and sad thanks to those molars and he ended up cuddling me in our bed until he fell asleep.  He is a very mobile sleeper. ALL over the place.  But he stayed in our bed for a few hours (im convinced it was just so I could get some extra snuggles in!) before I had to move that rodeo to the crib again.  


Since Grady was unswaddled around 3 or 4 months (??), he has been all over the crib.  Ultimately, he would end up on his belly with his knees pulled under him and his arms tucked in and his blue and brown blankie nearby.  In the past month, he has started sleeping on his back with his limbs stretched out.  I once read that babies and children sleep like that when they feel safe and secure.  I always thought the "booty in the air" pose was adorable, but I sorta like that I can get a quick glimpse of the smiles he flashes in his sleep now. :) And its a bonus if the "safe and secure" rumor is a fact :) 



Like I said. He has the ability to nap where and when his body needs it to happen.  Stroller nap at Ecpot? Done. 





Eating

Grady is completely off formula. (Our wallet rejoices!!!)
He drinks the same organic milk Whitney drank as a toddler and he LOVES it.  He still takes a bottle because A) he is still a baby and B) i love the bottle/snuggle time before naps and bedtime and C) hes not going to go to preschool still taking a bottle.  He will get rid of it when he's ready.  He drinks water from a cup throughout the day and never questions it.  But the sleepy-time bottles are still going strong....and I secretly love it. 


He eats everything we eat for meals.  Chicken, lima beans, apple, pretzels,...yep. Anything we eat.  He hasnt mastered taking small bites yet, so we still have to cut up his food into bite-size pieces but let's all remember he's only 12 months old. :) 


He's working on at least two molars, maybe four.  He has suddenly become this drooly, slobbery mess who insists on chewing on everyyyyything in sight.  It hasnt slowed his appetite AT ALL but he definitely appreciates the ice treats in his mesh teether :) 


Here is is, chowing down on some fresh catch from Eric's Uncle Mike's latest fishing trip :) 





Personality

Eric and I just sat and compiled a list of adjectives that describe our sweet son.  This is what we came up with:
Adaptable. Fun. Smart. Silly. Loud. Determined. Daring/Fearless. Active. Nosey. Happy. Friendly. 


Grady is extremely go-with-the-flow. He gets his message across loud and clear when he needs something or wants to be left alone.  He is easy to translate despite his few "legit" words.  He is quiet and calculating when he is up to something, but he is loud and crazy, flapping arms and shaking his head and kicking his feet when he is being silly.  


He has mastered the art of the "wet noodle", going limp when he wants to be let down or released from our clutches.  He is completely fearless 50% of the time, in a "climb first, figure out the dangers later" kinda way. And the other 50% of the time, he is cautious and careful, making sure to hold a hand when walking and running.  Leading me to believe he may have inherited his Daddy's fearless, carefree spirit along with Daddy's fear of heights :) "Be fun and have fun at all costs....unless you're about to fall. Then? Sit down." 


Grady is remarkably smart.  Im sure all parents say that about their own offspring, but I, of course, mean it. :) 
He knows how to communicate effectively enough that we are able to cut down on what would otherwise result in tantrums and screaming.  He can let us know his basic needs with is very limited, very "B-sound centered" vocabulary, and takes directions exceptionally well for a one year old boy.  He loves "B words"...
Bug, Bite, Bottle, Bailey, button, etc. But has added a few animal sounds and many other letter sounds to his vocab this month.
We recently got the Leap Frog Letter Factory flashcards that can be used with Whitney's Tag Junior.  Grady knows way more letters than we even realized, and loves working the Tag Jr by himself.  (We sorta skipped the "I wanna be INDEPENDENT" phase with Whitney.  She was cool with asking for help.  I can already hear Grady shouting, "NO! I do it myself!" in the very near future. Mr. Independent.)


I often joke that Grady has never met a stranger in his life and would go home with anyone who smiled at him.  He is sooo sociable, waving and smiling and clapping for anyone who happens to glance his way.  If you reach your arms out for Grady to come to you, he launches himself into your arms and often snuggles in for a hug.  I wont brag, but I cant tell you how much I love this about him.  


Grady is a softy.  He loves his blankie and happily gives hugs on command.  He waves to Bailey and pets him nicely and likes to point at babies in books and stores.  


While I often feel like he is "go! go! go!" all the time, I do recognize that he is capable of sitting in my mom's lap for a full 45 minute theatrical experience, can easily sit nicely through a meal in a restaurant 8 out of 10 times, and really does sit nicely in our laps for books.  


He watches the entire Letter Factory DVD (about 25 minutes) as though his eyes are glued to the television. He remembers things after being told only once or twice, and though his verbal skills are still evolving, he tries to mimic our sounds and is able to effectively communicate to let us know what he wants or what he's saying. 


Its not ALL sunshine and rainbows ALL the time though.  Sir Grady definitely has opinions and wants what he wants when he wants it.  He may have inherited his Daddy's fear of heights, but he has unfortunately inherited Mommy's patience levels.  Poor dude. 


He is super happy and easily calmed when it happens, but when he feels as though a toy has been unjustly removed from his grips or that a meal isnt being prepared with lightning speed, he lets us know with the SADDEST, most pittiful sad-face EVER.  
Im so grateful he gets over it quickly and moves on as though the injustice never occurred :) 







Eric wasnt home five minutes and the kids and dog wouldnt leave his side :) If that's not the sign of an awesome Daddy, I dont know what is!







Activity

The above photo shows one of Grady's newest tricks in action.  Opening doors.  Including the front door.  Without help.  If we arent careful, its only a matter of time before he is out in the street before I know it.  



Climbing, doing chin-ups, and taking 8-10 steps at a time are just some of Grady's latest tricks.  He loves the PBK Anywhere Chairs, especially for climbing and free-falling purposes, but occasionally for actual sitting purposes :)


Whitney showed him how to use other toys to elevate himself enough to climb on the couches.  Pillows, baskets, trucks.....all used as steps to help him climb to reach the remote or the phone or any other treasure he has his heart set on in the moment. 



He still loves gym class each week, clapping and bouncing when we pull in the parking lot :) 


And while he was 100% NOT walking a week ago, he is totally on his way there now.  He MIGHT even walk into his party tomorrow :) 
UPDATE:  He walked at his party and definitely prefers walking over crawling now.  It is amazing that, just one week ago, we were convinced he wouldnt REALLY walk for a month.   Or at LEAST a few weeks.  And now he is toddling everywhere. 




He loves raiding his sister's room and dragging her toys and shoes to the playroom to examine closer.  He found her red Jessie boots last week and took great efforts to study them and try to get them on his own feet :) 


He was yelling "ON! ON!"


I helped him get it on and he was so excited! He crawled around with it til it fell off :) 



He will walk and run anywhere as long as he has a hold on someone's finger, but in the last 24 hours has really started taking off on his own for solo missions more often.  






He has started putting toys into and pulling toys out of/dumping toys from buckets and bags.  Whitney loved this task, too, so it is fun to see him follow in her footsteps, filling buckets with trains or balls and then dumping them out...only to lather, rinse, and repeat a moment later. 




Im TOTALLY loving these days of wobbly legs and healthy mix of confidence and uncertainty as he eyes a toy across the room and tries to walk his sea legs the whole way there.  Once he gets a solid hold on this walking gig, these unsteady legs will seem like such a short phase in his life.  Im loving every step. Literally.  






Sibling Love

It goes without saying that these two are the best things that have ever happened to us.  They brighten our days, our plans and decisions and goals revolve around them, and we have loved watching each of them grow. 





That is why it makes it even more special and rewarding to watch Whitney and Grady grow up as individuals and grow together as siblings and friends.  They love each other in a way Ive never seen kids love each other.  At least not kids who are only four and one year old.  



Whitney is SO nice to Grady.  She shares toys with him, even her very favorite toys.  She gets a little annoyed when he drools on her stuffed animals, but she has learned to give him an alternate toy when he is holding something she doesnt want him to have. 


She was SO excited to paint a wooden train as a birthday gift for her little bro.  She tries to make him laugh when he is sad or frustrated.  And she never minds if he shares the spotlight.  Her school recently had a petting zoo visit and Whitney liked riding the pony.  But she thought it was REALLY special to ride the pony WITH her brother on board. 



And her school recently had a Fun Run and Whitney was so happy to have Grady on the sidelines. 


And while Whitney is a super nice big sister to Grady, he is a great little brother to her.  He laughs at all her silly faces and funny noises and fabulous singing.  He claps for her and looks for her when she is at school.  He has been chasing her on his hands and knees for months, but now that he is walking, it will only be a matter of days before he is RUNNING to catch up with the most awesome big sister. 



We really felt like Whitney completed our family.  I mean, sorta.  We never gave it tooooo much thought, but looking back, I think we probably just assumed we would be a happy family of three and we were totally cool with that concept!  But now that I get to see these kids together, laughing and making memories and petting Bailey and chasing each other and laughing some more and comforting each other and genuinely enjoying each other, I recognize that our family wasnt complete back then.  Grady and Whitney were meant to be brother and sister.  



He was meant to be a little brother and she was meant to be a big sister.  To each other.  And we are just the lucky ones who get to watch it all happen, day after day. 






Grady's birthday was Friday.  The Seuss party was Saturday.  And Whitney's birthday was Sunday.  


I am torn on the chair pictures ending.  I LOVE seeing how they have grown month after month.  But man, those pictures were a team effort, often ending in sweaty, impatient parents and exhausted kids. 
I might try every six months. Maybe. 



But man, they are SOOOO cute and so much fun to look!






I also dont know how I will convince myself to keep up with the blog when I dont have these monthly updates to write anymore.  These have forced me to type it out, which hasnt always been easy given my limited free time these days.  But I have loved looking back through the posts and remembering all those little moments and details I thought I would never forget.


And I just know this Summer is filled with great pictures and wonderful memories as these two grow closer and get even more active with swim lessons and VBS and more free time when school is out and a beach trip and.....the list goes on.  So I am hoping I can maintain the blog with at least a weekly update.  Hold me to it!! (Devin, Im specifically talkin' to you!)


Happy FIRST Birthday, Grady James! I am so excited and honored to get to watch you grow and see what your second year brings! Love you, Dude. 





2 comments:

Devin said...

weekly updates... got it!

Language Arts Lady said...

I can't believe how old Grady is either! He looked like such a big kid riding that pony by himself! Love it. :)

Post a Comment