But when your baby is allergic to amoxicillin, ear infections can turn into Pukefest 2013.
And welcome to our weekend.
Friday started like this. Happy dude felt warm when I took him out of his crib and a quick temp read 99.9. Low grade, probably just teeth, I thought.
I have him some Advil in case he was in pain and within a few minutes, he was chasing his sister again. He napped restlessly throughout the day, and was a little clingy and whiny at times, but the fever never came back so I didn't bother giving him more Advil.
He was a champ at Disney Friday night and didn't act sick at all. But when I took him out of the car seat when we got home that night, his little body was on fire.
We took his temp and it was a scary 104.
We gave him Advil and laid him in our bed so I could keep an eye on him and wait for his fever to drop. At 1am, two hours after his Advil, the fever was still at 103. At 5am when the fever was still 103, I tried giving him Tylenol and he puked everything he's ever eaten. I thought maybe the puke would be a good thing if it got whatever was bugging him out of his system. I gave him a bath and that brought his temp down for about a minute but he was burning up again within ten minutes.
He was sleepy and snuggly and would cry for a bottle, take five or six sips, and then push it away. About 15 mins later, he'd ask for it again. I started to suspect ear infection since I thought the swallowing was giving him some relief.
We could still get smiles from him and he was asking for banana and more milk.
At 8am we started calling urgent care clinics to see who works with our insurance and who would see an infant. After jumping through hoops and spending an hour on the phone with a sad baby whimpering in the background, we were on our way. My parents really helped us out by inviting whitney over for a play date and pool fun, so we dropped her off and headed to the doc.
Paging Dr. Bass!
Love the hand me down tee from his big cousin Corbyn! Thanks, CCC!
Dr. LadyKiller was a hit in the urgent care office, and all those phone calls paid off because we had no wait and the friendliest staff ever! Of course, Grady's temp was only 99 in the office but it hadn't been lower than 101 for more than 12 hours. Just when we started to think it was just a bug and he was getting over it, the doc looked in his ears.
Two nasty infected ears and one Rx for Zithromax. We were on the road to recovery, his temp was down on its own, and he was smiley and flirty.
After we picked up his Rx, we decided to grab lunch at Don Pablo's before picking Whitney up from Mac and Gramps' house.
I gave Grady his first dose of meds, we walked into the restaurant, sat down and ordered waters, and Grady promptly puked all over me. From the sunglasses on my head, to the flip flops on my feet, and every inch of clothing in between, there was puke everywhere.
Thankfully, my mom taught me well, and I anticipated this sorta event. I had two plastic shopping bags for the gross clothes, and a fresh shirt for myself. I did the walk of shame out of the restaurant and changed in the parking lot. Unfortunately I only brought a back up tshirt. I could've used back-up bra, undies, shorts, belt, and shoes too.)
We headed home, got showers and baths and Grady laid down for a nap.
We had to deal with getting another dose of meds in him and getting another bottle so he doesn't run out, but I felt like the worst was behind us. I mean, once you're covered in vomit in a Mexican restaurant, your day can only get better, right?
And then we tried giving him Tylenol to drop his fever. And he puked again. Rough day.
Turns out Zithromax is strong stuff and has a tendency to cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. So not only is he battling ear infections and the coughing and snotting that comes ing with that drainage, but now his little belly is revolting and causing trouble. Once again super grateful for a sister in law who is a pharmacist and her recommendation of a probiotic to help keep his belly in check. Unfortunately that stuff gives grady extreme gas pains. So we are picking our poison and hoping for some relief soon.
So we did a lot of this the rest of the day and night.
And he was still on fire and mopey, but I knew he finally had a full dose of meds and would get better over the next few days.
He woke up this morning still sad and in slow motion, just wanting to cuddle and watch Handy Manny. He isn't interested in food, only took half of his dose of meds, and is back in bed already. I'm hoping and praying his little body will fight this nasty infection, and that his tummy troubles are behind us. I want our happy dude back!!!!
Edited Monday night to add:
Grady is still not feeling well. In fact I would say he is getting worse. After talking with my fabulous pharmacist Sister-from-another-Mister, I called the after-hours doctor to let them know that Grady is pulling on his ears and screaming in pain. He is still rockin a 101 fever and is just clearly but feeling better yet. They agreed with Lynzie that the zithromycin should have kicked this ear infection butt by now so she called in a Rx for ear drops and wants Grady seen again tomorrow morning. I'm hoping we can get rid if this junk and see our happy dude soon!







No comments:
Post a Comment